Friday, June 20, 2014

This Break May Be Short but It Is Worth It!

You know she is fun when she is daring to go out on a hiking adventure with yours truly. Her name is Sara Hansen and we originally met in class at BYU. Thus far we have had 6 classes together and counting. Today is her BIRTHDAY and she deserves nothing but the best! Happy birthday to you Sara!

Yesterday Sara and I went hiking to the hot pots up the Spanish Fork Canyon. She brought these fun four boys (in the picture below). 



Two of them are hers and two of them are her friends. They were quiet entertaining and very adventurous. Starting out they were excited at the prospects of possibly getting to see snakes. Man did they ever...





 Ahhhhh SNAKES!!! 
I can honestly say that I have never seen so many snakes in the wild in one day! The first one that I saw was when we were walking to the hot pots and I saw something move, it was right between my legs! Yes, I almost stepped on it! It was a small thing and I don't think it was poisonous but it sure creeped me out. Little did I know that there were more to come...

This not so little snake (in the picture above) was hiding underneath the rock where we had set our things. Sara and I had been looking at a different snake that was about twenty feet away from our stuff. I was creeped out of looking at the snake so I decided to walk away. It didn't take to long until I was way close to this huge snake that was coming out and right in my path. I jumped high on the hill right next to me and cleared a good 3 free up in the air. Thank goodness Sara was there to help me down. She wasn't even scared at all!
On the way back down there was another snake that was across our path. You can't see the head but you can see part of the body and it was pretty long. Definitely over three feet long. In total we saw 4 alive snakes and 1 dead.

Yesterday these 4 boys made me so proud. I went up to the waterfall where the water was freezing cold with Sara's son Jace and explained to him how to stick his head through the hole in the waterfall. Without hesitation he went and did it and the other 3 boys quickly followed. It made me so happy!

Then there was a little cave at the bottom of the waterfall and we each took turns climbing in.


Me and the boys created something fun while at the hot pots. We found a small waterfall and I laid down to block the water. They would each take turns ducking down to get under the waterfall to hide in the air pocket that was underneath and I would let the water flow on and over them until they would give me a thumbs up and then I would lay back down so they could get back up (on the right Jace is ducking down and getting ready to go in this photo). 

Yesterday was my first full day of my break between the spring and summer semesters. I am feeling extremely blessed and I have been nothing but active, spending time with good friends and family, and loving every minute of it! My classes and work start again Monday so this break may be short but it is worth it!

1 comment:

  1. We rocked it yesterday. So fun to read your blog. Thanks, Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete