Wednesday, June 6, 2012

18 months of my life in a semi Spanish world. The Utah Odgen Mission!!

Just the Beginning!

My mission started at the MTC! I'll try to share a little bit about my mission, stories, and somethings I learned from each companion and/or the life lessons that come along with the experiences.

The first companion I had was Hermana Munguia. That lasted for about a day and then I was put into a trio. We had a lot of good times together not to mention a lot of quality time since we were in sight and sound for 9 weeks trying our best to learn Spanish.


From the left to right it goes Hermana (Jessica) Mckenna, Hermana (Emily) Bue and Hermana (Kathy) Hale. I love these Hermanas and I am so thankful for what I learned from them that blessed me throughout my whole mission. Some of those things being. "God is a God of emotion" and it is so important for open, honest, and loving communication to have a strong and healthy relationship. I guess it all really boils down to trust.


This is us having fun with some of the things we received in a Halloween package.


I'd like to call these two my tender mercies of my MTC experience. Talk about amazing! It was definitely one of the best thing to have 2 of your best friends in the MTC with you at the same time.  They were also both 2 of my roommates that I had lived with for a year before I came on the mission. We were all learning Spanish and set out on this adventure at the same time. As most of you know I had an extremely hard time while in the MTC. The Spanish didn't come easy. I  caught practically every cold and flu virus that came by. But without fail, if I was ever having a ruff time I'd run into them and get a fresh perspective that the mission life really is just for a moment and I can give my all! I had some amazing experiences with these girls. We lived in the same building so I saw one or the other practically every night.


What a fun district! We all got along really well and were super close. I would love to have a MTC district reunion one day. I especially admired my teacher. He had a lot of courage and unbelievable faith. He has impacted my life forever.


This note was left on the board for us after an incredible experience that we had with him. I will never forget it. The spirit was so strong after he had a few interviews with some of us. My interview  happened to be really long. I appreciated all I learned and he took the time to give me valuable advice because we were about to leave the MTC. I'll never forget how  he was sad but excited for us to go into the mission field. He took the time to talk to me about how to keep the fire that I had. He referred to me as a fireball missionary. I cherish the memories and I am thankful for Hermano Dela Cruz. (If you can read Spanish you may understand a little of how nice that note is that he wrote to our district).
(From left to right: Elder Nailer, Hermana Bue, Hermana Hale, Hermana Mckenna, and Elder Hammond)
Leaving the MTC for the start of a new adventure in the mission field!!!

THE MISSION FIELD!

I'd like for you to meet my AMAZING trainer! Her name is Hermana (Aileen) Clotet! She was my perfect trainer. We pushed each other so hard in all the best ways possible. I'd get her up in the morning at 5:45 almost everyday to work out and she pushed me to be the absolute best missionary that I could be. She really wanted me to know everything I needed to know to be successful and we pushed each other to our limits to be our best. I am so thankful for her and God knew I needed her and no one else as my trainer! I LOVE YOU CLOTET!

My first week in the mission field was CRAZY! Let me give you an overview.

(From Left to right: Hermanas Lopez, Clotet, Castenada, Lundstrom, Judd, Tanner, Me, and Munguia)
The only two that weren't my companions in this picture were Hermanas Lopez and Tanner. I still consider them very dear friends. This picture was taken right after I met my trainer. I met Hermana Clotet in a huge meeting where they were going to announce your companion. I came in and sat down right next to her. We introduced each other and I straight up asked her if she was going to be my companion? She wan't fully sure yet if it was her or not but we were both hoping we were going to be each others companions. When they announced that we were indeed companions. We both jumped up, screamed in excitement, and gave each other a big hug. Things were already off to a great start!

My first full day we started off with our studies. As missionaries in companionship study you do what is called role plays. Hermana Clotet had me start off and she was going to let me teach her. I was about to start and she said "okay hold on a second." When she came back she looked like this....


Bahaha she really made me try to teach her in that mask. She was playing the part of an old man and had the voice and everything. It was so funny! Role playing isn't easy at the beginning but with the mask it just made it entertaining. I love memory. and that mask is legend!

You could seriously scare some kids with this thing on. CREEPY! Don't I look HOT!

My first dinner I remember having in the mission field. We had stopped by there house on accident a few hours early. The mom was already cooking. She told us dinner was about ready and that we could stay and eat. At the time we couldn't because we had an appointment but we told her we'd come back later. On the way back to dinner my companion helped update me a little bit about the culture. She said "you have to eat everything that they feed you other wise they will be offended. Their way of showing you love is through food. If they offer you seconds you need to say yes." I was determined to eat all my food! When we got there and the meat was still cooking from before. I thought it was a little odd but I just assumed that they knew what they were doing. The sweet lady made us 4 beautiful tacos. I was hungry so I was ready to dive in. After the prayer I took my first bight. To my surprise the meet was crunchy. Not only was it crunchy but it was pure charcoal. I watched to see my companions reaction but she held her composure. I decided I would too. I finished my tacos but when she offered seconds I let my trainer respond and we both politely explain we were full after 4 of those suckers.

That was one tough meal to make it through and after it kinda scared me because I was afraid that the rest of my mission meals were going to be like that. I was releaved each day as we went to different peoples houses and the food wasn't all burned but the next phase was learning to deal with being extremely full all the time!

It reached this temperature my first few days in the mission field. I seriously thought I might freeze to death. I think we would have if we didn't have a car. 

The next picture is what you get when you have a mouse in your apartment and your companion talks your zone leaders in to coming to get it.

Thank you Elder Ruvalcaba. That is true love and sacrifice!

The next picture has a great story behind it. We had just gotten back from my first district meeting in Logan. We were in Hyrum, Utah. Hermana Clotet gets off the phone. She had been speaking in Spanish so I didn't fully understand what she had been saying. She turned to me and asks "do you want to give service?" My response "why, of course YES!" She then proceeded to ask "how do you feel about plucking chickens?" At first I wasn't sure if this was a joke or not. I said I'd be willing to try anything once. But I kept on asking her "wait, are you serious?" Ha, man was she EVER!


Ha, I don't know if you can tell how red my face was. Man those things smelled so bad! Hermana Clotet and I would look at each other and just laugh because we both wanted to puke because the smell was HORRIBLE! (For those of you who know me I have a weak stomach when it comes to smells. I was praying to not throw up the whole time.)


This wasn't even the best part of this story. It wasn't long after this that we had to leave. We were then heading to dinner. On the way there I turned to my companion and was like "Hermana we better not be having chicken. If we do, honestly I don't know what I'm going to do." I kept asking her if this was a prank and I honestly thought she knew what we were going to have for dinner until we got there. We knock on the door walk in and guess what is on the table.....Kentucky Fried Chick. Thankfully the member let us dish ourselves. She mentioned how little we ate but Hermana Clotet was on the same page as me at this point and having a hard time eating as much as I was.


I learned so much from Hermana Clotet. I also remember driving down the road one day with her. We were having a blast and going to one lesson right after another. As we were driving down the road Hermana Clotet looked at me and said "you are like the American version of me." At that moment I literally screamed. She was like "umm did I say something wrong?" I started laughing and said "no you just caught me off guard because at that exact moment I was thinking you are the Peruvian version of me."

That was an EPIC 1st week. Thank you Hermana Clotet for being one my life long friends and the many incredible experiences!


TO BE CONTINUED....

No comments:

Post a Comment